Tuesday, March 26, 2013

the aftermath

Well.  I'm back in Winona.  It's a bittersweet thing to say the least.  I don't miss the whiplash of getting on and off the train every-other day...but I seemed to have left some of my heart in Seattle, I guess I'll just have to go back someday [soon?] and find it!

As you probably have guessed by now, I completely and utterly fell in love with Seattle.  I felt at home there.  I loved walking down the city streets.  I loved the noise of the life around me.  I loved the lights.  I loved the coffee.  I loved the rain.  But Seattle is a broken place...and there were so many homeless people.  Through serving at Bread of Life, my eyes were opened.  I cannot put it into words what my heart feels.  Meeting both Bernard, a graduate of the program, and Jeffery, a soon-to-be-graduate, I saw what real and real hope looks like.  I remember talking to Jeffery, and though he didn't tell me about his past, he told me about his love for Christ.  He will be graduating from the program in May and I would honestly love to go back and watch his graduation ceremony and volunteer some more.

To say that this trip changed my life is an understatement.  I not only got to know my teammates better, but myself as well.  God showed me so much about my heart and I cannot wait to see where He continues to lead me in this life.

I love thinking about the future...and not just because I picture myself living in Seattle :)  But I also like to think about all of the things I could do in life.  Although I have served in many ways before, this trip allowed me to try my hand at artist documentation (I think that is a more 'artsty' way to describe taking photos).  I carried my camera at my hip for ten days straight (figuratively speaking).  And when I wasn't using my Canon, I was using my iPhone to Instagram, Tweet, blog, and Facebook.  It was a blast and has opened up my mind to what the future may hold for me, someday.

Until someday, I am going to live where I am.  In Minnesota.  1,802.3 miles away from Seattle.  Because I know that God has things under control and that there is hope for Seattle.  God is there.  He is there in the hearts of men like Jeffery and Bernard.  He is there at Eastridge Church.  He is there.

But that doesn't mean I still don't miss Seattle.  Good thing I took lots of pictures!




No comments:

Post a Comment